Monday, November 19, 2012

TTYL


I have been told over and over again by my parents, ‘If you are going to text so much, why don’t you just call them?’ I have responded, ‘This is easier,’ or ‘I’d rather do this.’ But, while many adults say that the fact that children and teens texting is irresponsible and inconvenient, I believe that it is just as or more effective as making a phone call.
To start off, I think texting is more efficient than making a call. You are able to say what you need to say without having to repeat yourself because the person on the other line didn’t understand you. Also, if you are somewhere where you don’t want everyone around you to hear what you are talking about with the person on the other end, you don’t have to have everyone hear the entire conversation. Plus, if it is too loud for you to be able to hear the other person or vise versa, they will be able to understand you perfectly, rather than hearing a bunch of jibber-jabber in the background.
In adults’ defense, texting is more time-consuming, and I will be one of the first to admit it. Also, you are able to show no emotion whatsoever. For example, if you say “Whatever,” to finish up a topic, you can sound like you are being rude and do not care about what the other person just said. But, if you say it on the phone, they will know what you meant. I think those are the two downsides to texting, but I don’t think that they overpower my opinion to make me want to make a phone call instead of sending a simple text.
Another great thing about sending a text is that you are able to look back on the conversation without having to ask the person to repeat themselves. That is a plus because you are able to have the entire conversation in the palm of your hand without having to call them back or have them repeat any of what they just said.
I believe that texting is more efficient than calling because you are able to read the entire conversation, be in private, and be able to understand the person on the other line without having to ask them to repeat themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment